Takibi is an innovative forthcoming restaurant and bar created by Snow Peak in partnership with Submarine Hospitality. Takibi means bonfire in Japanese and the entire experience centers around the concept of time by the fire. From the ceramic tile on the walls to the open soapstone hearth where the food is prepared, bonfire is the central inspiration of the restaurant.
Snow Peak partnered with the award-winning restaurant experts at Submarine Hospitality to open Takibi. Led by Joshua McFadden, Submarine Hospitality operates three renowned restaurants in Portland, Oregon: Ava Genes, Tusk and Cicoria. Additionally, the Takibi Bar program will be led by world-famous bar director Jim Meehan.
When the restaurant opens in 2021, it will offer hyper-seasonal, Japanese-inspired cuisine – with all ingredients sourced from the Pacific Northwest region. We’re building an incredible team from the ground up and are looking for innovative and experienced members to launch with us.
The Beverage Manager works closely with the General Manager and Jim Meehan to establish and maintain the beverage program and bar operations including customer service, team training, inventory control and budgeting, opening/closing the bar, and ensuring that regulatory guidelines are being followed by all team members.
This position is a full time exempt salary position with benefit eligibility, and reports to the Takibi General Manager. Takibi will be open 7 days a week and while the schedule will vary, we expect a 5 day a week commitment.
THIS POSITION MIGHT BE RIGHT IF YOU
- Demonstrate hospitality in every interaction and cultivate positive experiences that matter
- Share a passion for the outdoors and the beneficial role it plays in people’s lives
- Express curiosity and creativity by taking initiative and be resourceful
- Understand your effect on business targets
- Make a memorable impact by being approachable, respectful, responsible, and joyful
- Value all people for their skills, experience, and unique perspectives
WHAT YOU WILL DO
- Oversee education and training for team members to ensure an in depth knowledge of wine, beer, sake, and cocktails
- Set recipe, service and bartending standards, and ensure that the bar team receives adequate training on those standards.
- Maintain appropriate inventory levels to ensure product availability while hitting budget targets
- Ensure accurate and timely monthly inventory report
- Regularly act as floor manager while also assisting the bartenders as needed, including touching tables, running food, managing team members, and monitoring the door
- Schedule and effectively manage time needed to meet with sales reps to help create a diverse backbar selection and wine list
- Assist in menu planning, preparation and presentation of drinks, and monitor adherence to quality and safety standards
- Assists in the planning and coordination of special events
- Lead a robust training program for front of house on policies, procedures; recognize and suggest additional trainings
- Lead with poise and confidence, especially during busy, high pressure situations, setting an example for the team
- Demonstrate the ability and be available to work all stations when needed, including covering for hourly team members whenever necessary
- Create and manage shift schedules, verify hours worked for payroll, and closely monitor labor hours in order to meet goals and benchmarks
- Leverage individual team members’ strengths, encouraging employee development and motivation
- Proactively monitor and diffuse conflicts as they arise, coach team members to ensure solutions-oriented and positive communication, and provide in-the-moment feedback to support and develop the team’s performance
- Supervise team members for productivity and adherence to restaurant regulations; ensure that health, safety, and security rules are followed; notice and promptly correct any negative behavior; escalate discipline to General Manager
- Maintain a welcoming, inclusive and equitable workplace and hold all team members accountable
- Build, adapt, and maintain tools and reports
- Suggest strategies for process improvements
- Develop and maintain documentation and standards
- Support change management processes
- Provide support and advice on cross-functional projects
- Participate in team meetings; provide knowledge, support, and advice for interdepartmental process improvements, projects, or policy revisions
- Perform other related duties and projects as assigned
- High School Degree
- 3 years working in a bar or restaurant environment
- Experience leading a team; enforcing and maintaining company policies and procedures and maintaining employee scheduling
- Ability to learn new computer programs and software
- Proficient understanding of the financial and business acumen to drive profitability
- Proficient understanding of Microsoft Office Suite or related software
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to learn quickly; creatively solve new problems
- Ability to act with integrity, professionalism, and confidentiality
- Proficient interpersonal, negotiation, and conflict resolution skills
- Strong leadership skills with ability to motivate team members
- Understanding of federal, state, and local food sanitation regulations
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to efficiently manage multiple, concurrent, time-sensitive projects and priorities
NICE TO HAVE
- Higher Education degree
- Extended experience with Japanese cuisine, culture, and/or language
- Lift and move up to 50 pounds
- Stand and walk for an entire shift, including moving safely through all areas of the restaurant, which may include stairs, uneven and slick surfaces
- Ability to bear exposure to hot and cold environments
Please submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com in pdf format and let us know how you would be a unique fit for our team.
Candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to status as a protected veteran or a qualified individual with a disability, or other protected status, such as race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status or age.