Get your greens with this refreshing salad mixture. The combination of herbs with the buttery dressing is sure to please. Pair it with the Crusty Cast Iron Bread and the Snow Peak Shakshuka for a complete meal.
- For the loose greens:
- 2 cups cilantro leaves
- 1 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1 cup small dill sprigs
- 1 cup basil or mint leaves
- 1 cup arugula leaves
- 2 cups purslane, mâche, or hearts of Boston lettuce leaves
- For the dressing:
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- Salt and coarsely ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon red chile flakes or 1/2 teaspoon crushed pink peppercorns (optional)
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice, more to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, more to taste
Up to a day before making, wash the herbs and greens. Fill a large bowl or clean sink with cold water. Immerse the leaves, swish around to loosen any dirt, then gently lift out. Dry them in a salad spinner or lay them out on clean kitchen towels. If you're working ahead, refrigerate the dry leaves in sealed containers. Add a paper towel to each to absorb remaining water.
For the dressing, melt the butter in a frying pan until it sizzles, then add the almonds. Sauté the mixture over low heat until the almonds are golden and the butter is browned. Remove the almonds and drain on paper towels while reserving butter. The butter can be kept for one day. Melt and cool the butter again before assembling the salad.
To serve, place greens in a large bowl. Add salt, pepper, Chile flakes, almonds, cooking butter, lemon juice, and olive oil. Toss gently and season to taste, then serve immediately.