For part two of The Endless Horizon series, members of the Snow Peak team traded the greenery of Portland for the rugged and majestic desert landscape of Moab, Utah. Don’t miss a detailed travel journal of their excursions, plus a couple of refreshing drink recipes like Camp Micheladas and Roadside Palomas.
These tasty burritos are sure to be a hit. Pair them with chips and salsa or a paloma for a well-rounded camp meal. Don’t be afraid to improvise – add extra veggies, swap for a meatless protein or douse in your favorite salsa.
- 1 2/3 cups drained and rinsed black beans (from one 15-ounce can)
- 2 scallions including green tops, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon or lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 4)
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 onion
- 1 bell pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- 1/2 pound pepper Jack cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons of neutral oil
- 1 avocado
- 1 bunch of cilantro
- 4 large (9-inch) flour tortillas
Heat two pans over medium heat. Add a bit of oil to each. Rub the chicken breasts with the chili powder, pepper, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add the chicken to the pan and cook for 5-7 minutes on each side. Then, dice into quarter inch chunks. In a separate bowl, combine the beans, lime juice, ¼ teaspoon of cumin, salt, scallions, lemon juice, cumin, and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt. Add the beans and chicken back to the pan. Stir until combined, then add the cheese. Chop the onion and bell pepper and add to the second pan, along with the remaining cumin, plus salt and pepper to taste. Stir to combine and cook until tender.
Roughly chop the cilantro and set aside in a small bowl. Pit and dice the avocado and set aside. Heat the flour tortillas and fill with the cheesy chicken and bean mixture, and top with peppers, onions avocados and cilantro before folding.